M. Heather Kolbly
Ms. Kolbly's practice focuses on Special Education law, estate planning with an emphasis on Special Needs Trusts, disability and elder law. She particularly enjoys advocating for children and adults who are at a disadvantage due to a disability or learning differences.
Ms. Kolbly has 13 years of experience as a School Psychologist, first in the California public schools and most recently in public schools on the Eastside of Seattle. Through this work, she has gained experience and understanding of how schools and school districts work, as well as how students' learning can be impacted by various learning differences, disabilities, and emotional and psychological challenges. Ms. Kolbly also understands how positive interventions can help students to flourish in their learning. As a parent of a child with learning differences, Ms. Kolbly also appreciates the difficulties parents may face in advocating for their children's educational needs.
Ms. Kolbly's past legal experience includes managing her own solo-practice law firm, Kolbly Law Firm, PC for 10 years starting with her move to Washington State from California in 2006. Her areas of practice included estate planning, probate, small business formation and contracts, real property (lease contracts and homeowners' association representation), and family law. Ms. Kolbly was also proud to be appointed as a Title 11 Guardian Ad Litem by the King County Superior Court.
When not working, Ms. Kolbly enjoys spending time with her husband, Mike and their child, Bex. They enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, tubing on local rivers, visiting zoos, and playing with their two cats (Leona and Snowpaw) and two parakeets (Elsa and Anna).
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Santa Clara, California
- California State University, Northridge
- Major: Psychology
- San Jose State University
- Major: School Psychology
- Washington State Bar, Member
- State Bar of California, Member
Current Employment Position
- Lake Washington School District (2015-2022), Fremont Unified School District (Fremont, CA 1995-1999), San Francisco Unified School District (1994-1995), San Jose Unified School District and Evergreen School District (San Jose, CA 1993-1994 Internship year)., School Psychologist
- Kolbly Law Firm, PC , Managing Attorney